A Holiday Survival Guide For Those With Braces
ALONG WITH THE HOLIDAYS come friends, family, and holiday treats! Here are a few guidelines to keep your smile and braces in tiptop shape.
Be Mindful Of The Foods You Eat
Holiday treats are tempting, but some of them are off-limits when you have braces. Extra sugar and stickiness can linger on your braces and cause decay. And certain hard or sticky foods can damage wires and brackets. These foods include…
- candy canes (including candy canes in peppermint bark!)
- peanut brittle
- hard nuts (in pecan pies, etc.)
- hard cookies
Steer instead towards softer holiday treats like soft sugar cookies, pumpkin pie, or fudge. And always brush afterwards.
Brushing Correctly Helps Keep Your Teeth Healthy
Brushing around braces or a retainer can be annoying. However, brushing will help keep your teeth healthy. Here are few tips to help you step up your brushing game:
- Take time on each individual tooth. Pay careful attention to the areas where your braces touch your teeth.
- Brush at an angle. This allows your toothbrush to reach the space between teeth and braces.
- Be prepared. Keep a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss with you in your backpack or purse.
We Want to Wish You Happy Holidays!
We sincerely appreciate having you as our valued patient and friend. Even if you don’t have an appointment, stop by to say hello during the holidays! Or, say hello on our Facebook page!