Eating With New Or Recently Tightened Braces
WHILE ON THE ROAD TO A BEAUTIFUL, STRAIGHT SMILE you may experience temporary soreness—especially with new or recently tightened braces. Here are some tips to help you navigate any discomfort.
Tips For Eating With New Or Recently Tightened Braces
- Eat soft foods. Liquid-based foods—smoothies, soups, mashed potatoes, eggs, quinoa, applesauce, puddings, yogurt, jello—require little chewing and are less likely to irritate your smile. Look for sugar free soft food options.
- If you want to eat meat, try cold cuts or seafood.
- If you want fruit and vegetables, try boiling them and cutting them into small pieces so they’re easier to chew.
- Eat with caution. Chew slowly. Use the roof of your mouth and your tongue to mash softer foods.
- Keep upper and lower teeth from touching.
- Placing dental wax over brackets that are near sore spots in your mouth can prevent further pain and irritation.
- An over-the-counter pain killer can help you cope with discomfort.
Foods To Avoid
Modern Braces Are Comfortable
With modern day advances in orthodontics, it’s possible to go through braces with very minimal discomfort. If you’re careful and follow the instructions we give you, you can have a great orthodontic experience up until the day your new smile is revealed.
Have Any Helpful Tips For Newer Patients?
If you’re a veteran braces wearer and have tips on what to eat with new or recently tightened braces, we’d love to see them in the comments below or on our Facebook page. Thanks!